If you’re anything like me then at some point in your life you loved candles. I mean, who doesn’t want a delicious smelling home? I know I do and I sure don’t need to be cooking or baking all the time to have my house filled with wonderful aroma’s. And as much as I would like, God has not provided the means for me to fill my home with fresh flowers all the time.
There’s always been something about the soft glow of the flickering flame of a candle that beckoned me to a calm state. So how could it be that the very things I loved were possibly toxifying my home, all the while making it smell wonderful. The more I thought about this the more it reminded me of the devil. He’s cunning and beautiful. He appears as light but he’s really just in disguise. He’s darkness, killing us one breath of his lies at a time.
Just so you know, I don’t claim to be all candle educated. I’m sure there are some healthier alternatives. I have seen a few in some health food stores I frequent, but they aren’t smells I have been particularly fond of and from what I saw there weren’t many scents to choose from. Plus, every time I had my husband smell one he made a facial expression that I knew I didn’t want to see again so back on the shelf it went.
So what’s so bad about most candles you buy?
1. First off, candle companies are not required by law to tell you what they make their candles with.
(Hm, I would think if they were proud of their ingredients they would list them whether it was legally required or not, just sayin)
“Paraffin is the major ingredient in most conventional candles and is a sludge waste product from the petroleum industry. It releases carcinogenic chemicals when burned. The soot/fumes are similar to that released from a diesel engine and can be as dangerous as second-hand cigarette smoke. This can contribute to serious respiratory issues like asthma.” source: Keeper of the Home
3. Possible lead in the wick
Yikes! This is getting worse by the minute.
4. Benzene and Toluene
And what in the heck are they? They’re toxic chemicals my friends, that are found in the “sooty residue” from burning candles… sooty residue that just so happens to cause cancer.
5. Artificial scents.
Did you read my “Beaver Butt, say What?” post yet? If not, you should take a little stroll on over to that post. You never know what may be lurking in your raspberry preserves or your new car scented air freshener. 😉
6. And more toxic chemicals.
Quoting Keeper of the Home again. “Other toxic chemicals that may be present in the paraffin mixture and released through burning include: Acetone, Trichlorofluoromethane, Carbon Disulfide, 2-Butanone, Trichloroethane, Trichloroethene, Carbon Tetrachloride, Tetrachloroethene, Chlorobenzene, Ethylbenzene, Styrene, Xylene, Phenol, Cresol, Cyclopentene. Some of the toxins are found in other products such as paint, laquer and varnish removers– that’s potent and powerful stuff!”
So what’s a girl to do?
I wouldn’t begin to tell you what to do but I will tell you what I’ve done. I’ve replaced my candles with essential oils and a diffuser. Not only does my house smell phenomenal, but the little scent molecules floating around my home and into the bodies of my little ones are now beneficial to their tiny, growing bodies! That’s a Win.. Win, if you ask me!