I was blessed to grow up in a home where my mom cooked homemade Cajun meals from scratch. Even still it was inevitable that at some point in my life I would be introduced to the world of Hamburger Helpers. My favorite was the one with the potatoes. (or at least that’s what they were supposed to be) I have yet to figure out how to make that THM since I don’t eat white potatoes. I do have a friend on FB that recently made a version of it with cauliflower that I might just have to try. That night hubby will have a homemade burger or something. The man gags at the thought of cauliflower. It’s a bummer but we have an understanding. lol
Cheeseburger Macaroni was my second favorite and if you’re like me and you kind of miss that weirdo box stuff every now and then, you will love this recipe!
- 2 lbs. ground meat (I use ground turkey but you can use beef if you prefer)
- 2 Tbsp. Homemade Taco Seasoning (recipe below)
- 16 oz. package of Dreamfield’s pasta of your choice
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Seasonings of choice (normally I will use Tony Cachere, a little salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Now that my littlest is eating with us I omit the Tony Cachere due to the spiciness)
- 1/4- 1/2 cup Unsweetened almond milk
- Boil pasta.
- While boiling pasta brown meat. Drain. Return to pan and add the taco seasoning. Mix well.
- When the pasta is done drain it and then add the meat, cheddar cheese, and add just enough almond milk to make a sauce. You could also use water instead of the almond milk. Stir gently until the cheddar is melted. Add your seasonings of choice while you are stirring.
Homemade Taco Seasoning:
(I did not create this recipe. I found it on the internet years ago and have used it ever since. It’s wonderful!)
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup onion powder
- 1/8 cup ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. salt
Mix and store.
*Three Tbsp. homemade taco seasoning equals one 4 oz. package of taco seasoning mix.*